I am a fourth year PhD student in Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, supervised by Prof. Z. Morley Mao.
I received my B.Eng. in Computer Science from Wuhan University and used to work at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University as a research assistant with Prof. Daniel Xiapu Luo.
My research interest is network and system security. The topics I’m currently working on include:
- Mobile security, vulnerability detection
- Cyber-physical systems security
- Mu Zhang, Chien-Ying Chen, Bin-Chou Kao, Yassine Qamsane, Yuru Shao, Yikai Lin, Elaine Shi, Sibin Mohan, Kira Barton, James Moyne, Z. Morley Mao. Towards Automated Safety Vetting of PLC Code in Real-World Plants. Oakland 2019 (to appear).
- Lei Xue, Chenxiong Qian, Hao Zhou, Xiapu Luo, Yajin Zhou, Yuru Shao, Alvin T.S. Chan. NDroid: Towards Tracking Information Flows Across Multiple Android Contexts. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics & Security (TIFS), March 2019.
- Felipe Lopez, Yuru Shao, Z. Morley Mao, James Moyne, Kira Barton, Dawn Tilbury. A Software-Defined Framework for the Integrated Management of Smart Manufacturing Systems. Manufacturing Letters, Vol. 15, Jan. 2018. [Paper]
- Felipe Lopez, Miguel Saez, Yuru Shao, Efe Balta, James Moyne, Morley Mao, Kira Barton, and Dawn Tilbury. Categorization of Anomalies in Smart Manufacturing Systems to Support the Selection of Detection Mechanisms. IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, Vol. 2, Issue: 4, Oct. 2017. [Paper]
- Yuru Shao, Jason Ott, Yunhan Jia, Zhiyun Qian, and Z. Morley Mao. The Misuse of Android Unix Domain Sockets and Security Implications. CCS 2016. (acceptance rate 16.5% = 137/831) [Paper][Slides]
- Yuru Shao, Jason Ott, Qi Alfred Chen, Zhiyun Qian, and Z. Morley Mao. Kratos: Discovering Inconsistent Security Policy Enforcement in the Android Framework. NDSS 2016. (acceptance rate 15.4% = 60/389) [Paper][Slides]
- Qi Alfred Chen, Zhiyun Qian, Yunhan Jia, Yuru Shao, and Z. Morley Mao. Static Detection of Packet Injection Vulnerabilities – A Case for Identifying Attacker-controlled Implicit Information Leaks. CCS 2015. [Paper]
- Yuru Shao, Xiapu Luo, Chenxiong Qian. Towards a Salable Resource-driven Approach for Detecting Repackaged Android Applications. ACSAC 2014. [Paper]
- Yuru Shao, Xiapu Luo, Chenxiong Qian. RootGuard: Protecting Rooted Android Phones. IEEE Computer 47(6): 32-40, 2014. (Among the top 10 downloaded articles from the IEEE Computer Society’s Digital Library during 2014) [Paper]
- Lei Xue, Xiapu Luo, Yuru Shao. kTRxer: A Portable Toolkit for Reliable Internet Probing. IWQoS 2014. [Paper]
- Chenxiong Qian, Xiapu Luo, Yuru Shao. NDroid: Tracking Information Leaks through Java Native Interface in Android Apps. DSN 2014. [Paper]
- Yuru Shao, Ruowang Zhang, Andrew Ramacher, Kira Barton, Z. Morley Mao. Context-Aware Intrusion Detection in Smart Manufacturing Systems. The 2018 MIDAS Annual Symposium. [PDF]
- Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of Michigan. (2014.8~Present)
- Software Engineer Intern, Facebook. (2018.6~2018.8)
- Research Intern, B2B Lab, Samsung Research America. (2016.6~2016.8, 2017.5~2017.8)
- Research Assistant, Department of Computing, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University. (2013.10~2014.7)
- Intern, Antiy Labs. (2013.8~2013.10)
Awards & Honors
- ACM CCS Student Travel Grant, Association for Computing Machinery (2016)
- Rackham Conference Travel Grant, University of Michigan (2015, 2016)
- USENIX Security Student Travel Grant, USENIX Association (2015)
- Google Excellence Scholarship, Google (2012)
- Journal reviewer
- IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics & Security (T-IFS)
- Journal of Information Security and Applications